Increased graffiti has become a serious concern for Downtown Asheville as well as other areas of the city. Graffiti is harmful to everyone - business and property owners, residents, downtown employees and detracts tourists from visiting Asheville. For more information on how graffiti impacts a community, visit Graffiti Hurts.
- Graffiti defaces property and damages our community's reputation.
- Graffiti adversely affects property values and contributes to a decrease in sales tax revenue.
- The presence of graffiti can result in more graffiti, vandalism and other crimes.
- Graffiti creates the perception of a blighted and unsafe neighborhood.
IF YOU SEE GRAFFITI IN PROGRESS, CALL 911.
Research shows that the most effective way to deter graffiti is to clean it up quickly, ideally within 24 hours.
From July 1-September 30, the City of Asheville is offering clean up assistance up to $500 per incident.
Here’s how property owners can report graffiti and sign up for removal assistance:
- Use the Asheville App (ashevillenc.gov/ashevilleapp), email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (828) 259-5960.
- City staff will visit the site and estimate the cost of removal
- The property owner signs a waiver and agrees to pay all costs over the City’s $500 investment ($500 per building per incident)
- The City contacts a pre-qualified contractor to remove graffiti, who will aim to remove graffiti within 48 hours
- The City pays the contractor and bills the property owner for any amount over $500
Here are some local resources to assist with clean up:
- My Curb Appeal Pressure Washing Services, Neil Spencer - (828) 484-1010
- First Restoration Services - (828) 684-1582
Bare Bones Construction, Doug Plemmons - (828) 775-7343
- Pat Riddle - (828) 279-2893
- Aaron's Services, Jesse Johnson - (828) 768-4000 (also provides graffiti repellent)
- GreenWonder Kleaning - Jahshua Roseman, Owner/Operator - (704) 305-9925 / Ann-Marie Dean, Associate (828) 606-0812
- Green Graffiti Removal LLC, email@example.com, Heather: 828-216-9034, Michael: 828-676-4800
- WNC roof cleaning and pressure washing. Chris Watson Veteran owned/operated, 828-331-8118 http://www.wnc-roofcleaning.com/graffiti-removal
Some tips for prevention:
- Incorporate natural deterrents, such as landscaping. Shrubs, thorny plants and vines will effectively restrict vandal access.
- Plan or add lighting to promote natural surveillance.
- Use fences, controlled entrance and exits, rails, and other barriers that discourage through traffic.
- Limit access to roofs by moving dumpsters away from walls and covering drainpipes to prevent vandals from scaling them.